We have been receiving calls from QuickBooks users who are facing issues while trying to restore their backup. Now, it is not a very common issue but still, we decided to create this step-by-step guide to resolve the problem. We also suggest that you let the Intuit certified QuickBooks Experts of 247supportphonenumber fix the backup issue. Contact the QB Experts by calling on the QuickBooks Customer Support Phone Number +1-888-557-6950 which is providing QuickBooks Support Services for over a decade now.
The error message on your screen will be:
Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QuickBooks 2007 Backup File
Error: Restore failed. Can’t remove log file
The QuickBooks file name may also appear on your screen when you try to save the restored file.
These Errors Appear On Your Screen When:
- Your QuickBooks company file name has special characters in it.
- You have accidentally or intentionally restored the backup file over an existing company file.
- You tried to restore the backup file from a USB flash drive to a network drive. The QuickBooks Error -6189, -816 will pop-up on your display.
- You created the backup file in a newer version of QuickBooks.
Example: You made the backup file in QuickBooks 2019 version but are trying to restoring it in QuickBooks 2017.
- The file which you are attempting to restore is not actually an actual backup file.
- Your QuickBooks company file is damaged.
The QuickBooks Experts recommend that you go through the solutions which are given below to fix the Backup failed issue. But before implementing the solutions make sure that the size of the backup file is more than 6 mb. If the size is smaller than 6mb then it is not a true backup file.
Read: How To Create a Backup File.
How To Fix QuickBooks Won’t Restore Backup Issue?
Solution 1: Remove Special Characters ( / \ < > ! $ ) From The File Name For Your Company File
- First of all, look for the storage location of your QuickBooks Company file.
- You can use the search for a file using windows utility for this.
- Now, right-click on the file icon and choose rename from the drop-down menu.
- Type in a new file name and make sure that there are no special characters (/\<>!$) in it.
- Save the file and try to restore the backup file now. If you still run into any issue, move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Avoid Overwriting An Existing File When You Restore Your Backup
- Choose to save your backup file in the standard location when the window appears on your screen.
- If you are giving this file a name which another file already has this message will appear on your screen, “The file name exists. Would you like to overwrite this file?”
- Click on No button.
- Give the file another name which no other file has.
Solution 3: Copy Your Backup From Your Flash Drive Or Network Drive Before Restoring It
You can easily restore the backup file from your local and it is a lot simpler and efficient than using a flash drive or network drive. We highly recommend that you first copy the backup file and paste it on your desktop before restoring the file.
Solution 4: Copy A Backup File To A New Folder Before Restoring It
We are implementing this step to make sure that the folder is not damaged or corrupted in which you have stored your backup file. Copy the file from the current folder and paste it into a new folder. You can choose to use the Windows Explorer for this.
Solution 5: Use The Same Or Newer Version Of QuickBooks When Restoring Your Backup
You should learn about the QuickBooks File Manager to understand which version of the backup you are trying to restore.
It is possible to restore a backup to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop, but you cannot restore an older version one because of file structure changes between versions.
Solution 6: Repair Your Company File
In case, you have implemented all the steps but none of the steps seem to work for you then get in touch with us.
How To Contact QuickBooks Tech Support Department?
The QuickBooks Tech Support Department is available 24×7 on their toll-free USA QuickBooks Tech Support Number+1-888-557-6950 and the Intuit QuickBooks Chat Support Services. Our services are accessible to QB users all over the globe but we are based out of New Jersey, USA.
We have been consistently rated as the Top QuickBooks Support Services Provider in the USA. Get premium QB Support Services immediately.